Reporting Identity Theft
Here are some tips if you are a victim of ID theft.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at identitytheft.gov or by calling 1-877-438-4338.
- File a report with the local police.
- Report the incident to the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Bureau of Consumer Protection by calling 1-800-441-2555.
- File an Identity Theft Affidavit (Form 14039) with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit bureaus:
Equifax: www.equifax.com, 1-800-525-6285
Experian: www.experian.com, 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion: www.transunion.com, 1-800-680-7289
- If you believe you may be a victim of identity theft or discover a fraudulent PA personal income tax return was filed using your identity, please contact the Fraud Investigation Unit at 717-772-9297 or RA-RVPITFRAUD@pa.gov for assistance.
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.