Requesting an Extension of Time to File State Income Tax Returns
The Department will grant an extension of time to file a PA income tax return up to six months. Unless the taxpayer is outside the U.S., the Department will not grant an extension for more than six months.
An extension of time to file does not extend the payment deadline.
Follow these procedures to apply for an extension of time to file.
- If a taxpayer owes income tax with a PA tax return, he/she must pay the tax liability and request an extension of time to file.
- Taxpayers may pay by check, electronic funds transfer or credit/debit card. Visit the Revenue e-Services Center to pay and submit a request for extension of time to file electronically. Note electronic processing may not be available to first-time PA filers.
- If a taxpayer remits payment by check, he/she must also submit to the Department Form 276, Application for Extension of Time to File.
- If a taxpayer has been approved an extension of time to file his/her federal income tax return and does not owe PA income tax with the state return, the Department will grant the same extension for filing the PA tax return. Such taxpayers do not have to submit PA Form 276 or federal Form 4868.
- If a taxpayer has not been granted an extension of time to file his/her federal income tax return, he/she should request a state extension by filing Form 276 in sufficient time for the Department to consider it before the return is due.
Mail Form 276 with or without payment to:
PA DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
BUREAU OF INDIVIDUAL TAXES
PO BOX 280504
HARRISBURG PA 17128-0504