Begin Main Content Area

Unpaid court obligations

Under state law, if you have an unpaid court-ordered fine, fee, restitution or other obligation, then part or all of your state income tax refund will be directed to the clerk of court for the county in which the order was entered. A small administrative fee will be deducted by the department prior to remitting the payment to the court. Any remaining amount of the refund will be issued to you.

The Department of Revenue has no role in this process other than sending a refund to the appropriate court as required by state law.

If you have questions about this requirement under the Crime Victims Act or for information about a court-ordered obligation, you must contact the court to which the obligation is owed.