Begin Main Content Area

Consumer Fireworks Tax

New registration requirements for Consumer Fireworks Tax accounts.

New fireworks facility licensees must register for a Consumer Fireworks Tax account through the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue's myPATH's "Pennsylvania Online Business Tax Registration" service to register a business entity with the department. 

Newly licensed fireworks facilities and direct wine shippers should visit, scroll down on the homepage, and select "Register New Entity" to begin the application.

On October 30, 2017, Governor Tom Wolf signed into law Act 43 of 2017, establishing a consumer fireworks tax on each separate sale at retail of consumer fireworks within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Effective October 1, 2022, in accordance with Act 74 of 2022, the consumer fireworks tax rate of 12% and the sales tax rate of 6% apply to the purchase price of consumer fireworks, independent of each other.


Consumer Fireworks Tax Example PA Sales Tax Example Totals
Consumer Grade Fireworks Purchase Price
Consumer Grade Fireworks Purchase Price
Total Purchase Price =
X 12% Consumer Fireworks Tax = $1.20X 6% PA Sales Tax = $  .60Total Tax Paid = $1.80

Retailer Information

What you need to know: Effective October 30, 2017, retail sales of consumer fireworks, as defined in Act 43, are subject to the 12% consumer fireworks tax. If you have sold a product at retail considered a consumer firework under the law, you are required to charge, collect and remit the 12% consumer fireworks tax even if you are not yet licensed under the new law.

License: Sellers of consumer fireworks are required to apply for a Consumer Fireworks Facility License with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards. You can find more information by visiting the Department of Agriculture’s website at

Licensees must submit a quarterly consumer fireworks tax return with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue, even for periods where no taxable retail fireworks sales occurred.

Filing and Paying Taxes

Licensees must register their consumer fireworks tax account with myPATH, the department’s online portal for electronically filing returns, making payments, and renewing licenses, available at Once licensed, consumer fireworks tax returns must be filed electronically on myPATH.

Paper tax returns are not available or permissible for this tax type.

If your Point-of-Sale system cannot handle charging two different taxes on one transaction, you can use one composite tax rate, per sales transaction.

However, when your tax returns are filed with the Department of Revenue, the collection of the sales tax and fireworks tax must be reported separately on the respective return. Licensees are still required to file a Sales and Use Tax return according to their assigned sales tax account filing frequency, which may differ from the quarterly Consumer Fireworks Tax return.

Frequently Asked Questions


Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version